So ages ago, I wrote up the muffin recipe we found/adapted, that worked so well. We’ve been making muffins intermittently since then, and they’ve mostly worked. None of the chocolate ones have turned out right — it seems the inclusion of massive chocolate chunks spoils the baking process. But we’ve had lemon ones, blueberry ones, blackcurrant ones, and rhubarb and ginger ones.
Today’s rhubarb and ginger ones are the best yet. We tried making them about three weeks ago: use the blueberry muffin recipe, but instead of blueberries use half a bunch of rhubarb, cut into small chunks. And add ground ginger to the dry mix, and concentrated ginger syrup (if you can get some) to the wet mix. Sadly, those first ones came out a bit too soggy, and then after about three days they went odd and bitter and possibly slightly mouldy in the middle — yes, disgusting I know. We’d eaten almost all of them before they went bad! They also didn’t taste at all gingery.
This time we used almost the same recipe, but used a tiny bit less oil, and a tiny bit more flour, and quite a bit more ginger. When the dry ingredients were all mixed, you could smell the ginger easily, and Giles put probably at least a tablespoon of the ginger syrup in with the wet ingredients. When we mixed everything together, it seemed really dry, and was difficult to transfer into the cases, but the muffins have come out nicely in the end — the top’s quite like a crumble, but the middle’s gooey and soft.
Update: Giles thinks these are the best muffins we’ve made for ages — the little bit of extra flour makes them fluffy rather than gloopy 🙂